The PeaceHavens Project

Copyright 2022 © Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project

 https://www.facebook.com/groups/PeaceHavenProject/ ..

 

LINKS TO EVERYTHING ELSE

 

Russian Flax and Hemp Bale Seals from

Newcastle

Tyne and Wear HER(5161):

 Ouseburn Flax Mill, Lime Street, No. 36,  (Cluny Warehouse)
Built as a flax mill in 1848 on the site of an earlier corn mill, to the design of John Dobson for the firm of Plummer and Cooke, who previously owned the flax mill on the adjacent site which became Northumberland Lead Works. Flax was used to make linen and sail cloth. Originally steam powered the adjacent freestanding, recently restored chimney (HER 1840) forms part of the original Dobson complex. Its use as a flax mill was short. In 1866 it was bought by Proctor and Sons and converted to a flour mill. The building was extended in the mid 1870s when two brick warehouses were constructed - one for flour, the other (HER 5149) for grain. The complex is shown on Ordnance Survey second edition as "Northumberland Mills". Then taken over by Henry Leetham & Sons in 1900. A Miss Carr apparently lived in the garden house next to the big chimney and was employed by Leethams to test each batch of flour by baking small loaves of bread in her oven. The flour mill stood empty for many years until it was taken over by McPhersons Wine and Spirit Merchants in the 1920s, who stored bonded whiskey under the brand name of Cluny. Now internally divided, it has a variety of users, mainly craftspersons or artists and a café bar. Sandstone ashlar, later brick additions and attic storey date to 1870s, Welsh slate roof. The road between mill and chimney is at a much higher level than the internal cobbled yard into which the former coal shoots opened. One of the shoots retains its original
metal shutter. LISTED GRADE 2.  

 The wooded gorge of the Ouseburn in the east of the city is known as Jesmond Dene and forms a recreation area, linked by Armstrong Park and Heaton Park to the Ouseburn Valley, where the river finally reaches the River Tyne. In 2012, during excessively wet weather, a landslide occurred on the east side of the Dene, near the Old Mill. The landslide covered several footpaths running along the hillside. The paths are currently still closed as the cost of re-opening them would be excessive. In July 2014, the Old Mill in the Dene was vandalised with graffiti tags, which have since been removed. The mill can be seen to the rear of the photograph.

 

In the 19th century, shipbuilding and heavy engineering were central to the city's prosperity; and the city was a powerhouse of the Industrial Revolution. Newcastle's development as a major city owed most to its central role in the production and export of coal. The phrase "taking coals to Newcastle" was first recorded in 1538; it proverbially denotes bringing a particular commodity to a place that has more than enough of it already

 

  NEWCASTLE January 07 1710: By order in Council, dated St. James's Jan. I, for leave to the ship "Beginning" to discharge at Newcastle her lading of flax and iron "four Benches of hemp and eight Regs of cucumbers," she having performed her quarantine and her crew in perfect health: all on the petition of Johnathan Hutchinson Esq. and Samuell Holden, merchant.

 

Copyright 2022 © Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project

 

LINKS TO EVERYTHING ELSE