INVERBERVIE in Aberdeenshire.
is a Flax Town of Scotland to the north of
Montrose. A Royal Burgh from early days,
A small harbour in the town was important in early years but despite
improvements by Thomas Telford in 1819, it disappeared by 1830 owing to
the build up of the shingle bar at the mouth of the river Bervie. “The first flax spinning
mill in Scotland was established here at the Haughs around 1790 and by 1910
there were nine in operation with 500-600 workers. As over 2,500
around the turn of the 20th Century but has since declined owing the
downturn in that industry.” The first water powered flax mill in
Scotland. Just to the south is the small town of Gourdon which boasted
the last working flax mill in 1997.