The PeaceHavens Project

Copyright 2022 Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PeaceHavens/ ..

 

LINKS TO EVERYTHING ELSE

 

Russian Flax/Hemp Bale Seals from

Brechin in Angus

 

   BRECHIN, ANGUS is a town and former Royal Burgh in Angus, Scotland. Traditionally Brechin was described as a city because of its cathedral but that status is not officially recognised in the modern era.

   East Mills. Flax spinning by water power started in 1799 in what was a flax scutching & corn mill.

 In 1801 the firm coined its own Brechin halfpenny with the round tower on one side and the two-storey East Mill depicted on the other. A three-storey fireproof spinning mill was added in 1837 with a bellcote over the stair tower. It is in the style of Umpherston &Kerr, Douglas Foundry, the only example left outside Dundee of the Dundee type of iron frame from this period, pre-1850. The wheelhouse has been removed. Other buildings carry various date stones, the continuation to the north is pre 1821, and one to south of the original range is of 1858.

   East Mills was early 19th century and later. A large complex, consisting of a two-storey and attic, 3- by 15-bay block, a taller two-storey and attic, 9-bay building with a three-storey tower surmounted by a clock tower and belfry (1837), a two-storey and attic, 2- by 8-bay block (1858) and a four-bay range of weaving sheds, heightened in brick. Now empty.

In the parish of Brechin flax was cultivated at an early date; and after the manufacture of Osnaburgs was established in the country, the people paid increased attention to the cultivation of the fibre, and also to working it up into cloth. The quantity of linen stamped at Brechin in the beginning of last century was upwards of 500,000 yards a-year, and in 1818 it reached 750,000 yards. The number of persons employed in the trade at present is less than it was thirty years ago; but the production is much greater, owing to the extensive introduction of improved machinery. The premises of the East Mill Company are very extensive. Though the original building was considered to be a large concern in its day, its bulk is insignificant in comparison with the additions that have from time to time been made. Up till a few years ago all the weaving in Brechin was done by hand, but now there are three power-loom factories in operation. There are two extensive bleach-fields in the town, capable of bleaching about 4000 tons of yarn a-year. The principal fabrics made are bleached shirtings, dowlas, and similar goods.

The Bleach Works to the east experienced a fire in 1898. Now it sorts potatoes.

 

The fields around East Mills are crying out to be detected for flax bale seals

 

Copyright 2022 Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project