Copyright 2022 Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project

Previous 12 <  page 13 > 14 Next

The PeaceHavens Project

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PeaceHavensProject/

 Bentham - Pavlov Star Seals

 

Links to BENTHAM COLLECTION in
LANCASTER MARITIME MUSEUM

 

 

The purpose of this page. This is a very rare seal found only at Bentham. Just what was in these sealed bales is a mystery, probably flax, but it shows a direct connection between Bentham and St Petersburg.

 

Star Seals from St Petersburg found in Bentham

(Updated June 2022 for the Lancaster Maritime Museum)

  One of the rarer seals .. all of the 18 only known Pavlov Stars have been found in the 1829 and 1831 seal fields at Bentham Mills.

  The obverse has the six pointed Star of David with Ф.ПABЛOBЬ (F.PAVLOV) in Cyrillic and P.H.PAWLOW in Latin. All the seals are identical, except in condition. The six-pointed star, the Magen David, the shield of David, The Star of David, is also known as a hexagram, or more rarely, Solomon's Seal.

star
001

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ
(F.PAVLOV)
P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG
Caduceus

 

   Many Jews in St Petersburg were involved in the Flax trade and other traded goods.. The Caduceus is the winged staff of the messenger god Hermes who was the patron of trade and journeys. This is a very suitable logo for a company shipping trade goods overseas. Many of the buildings in the city of St Petersburg have a Caduceus on their facade.

#

OBVERSE click thumbnail

REVERSE click thumbnail

star

001

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

002

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

003

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

004

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

005

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

006

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

007

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

008

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

009

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

010

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW.

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

011

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

012

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

013

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

014

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

015

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

016

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

017

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

star

018

Ф.ПABЛOBЬ

(F.PAVLOV)

P.H.PAWLOW

S. PETERSBURG

Caduceus

         
         

The only other known seal of this type is a badly damaged example in

Great Yarmouth Museum with a star and RBURG on the reverse.

 

St Petersburg & Jewish Star Seals

  Jews were an ethnic community within the St. Petersburg population. Hebrew is related to the Semitic group of Afrasian languages, Yiddish (was spread throughout the majority of eastern Russia) is related to the Germanic group of Indo-European family of languages. They are mostly followers of Judaism, though some have converted to Christianity. Converted Jews were among the associates of Tsar Peter the Great (diplomat P.P. Shafirov, Gen. Polismaster A.M. Devier). From the 1780s in St. Petersburg, Jewish merchants began to settle (T.N. Notkin, A.I. Peretz). However, the rights of Jews to live in the capital were restricted by special legislation. From the mid-19th century the Jewish community began to grow rapidly: in 1869, there were approximately 6,600 Jews; in 1910 - more than 35,100. Among the Jews minor craftsmen and traders predominated, but there were also doctors, lawyers, journalists and entrepreneurs. From the 1860s Jewish charitable societies operated, publishing papers in Hebrew, Yiddish and Russian. The Ginzburg Barons, rendered great assistance to the Jewish community. In 1893 a choral synagogue opened. In 1802 75 Jews were buried in a different part of Volkovskoe Lutheran Cemetery, from 1875 at their own Jewish cemetery. After October 1917, Jews received access to state organizations and city government, (significant posts were held by G.E. Zinovyev, М.S. Uritsky, V. Volodarsky).

 

Links to BENTHAM COLLECTION in
LANCASTER MARITIME MUSEUM

 

Previous 12 <  page 13 > 14 Next

 

LINKS TO EVERYTHING ELSE